a PCS Members Exhibit at the
Medford Leas Art Center
One Medford Leas Way
Medford, NJ 08055
Dec. 3 – 31, 2019
The gallery is located on the Medford Leas Campus
in the Community Building
In honor of Walt Whitman’s 200th birthday and his connection to New Jersey, we are focusing our annual art exhibit at Medford Leas on Poetry. Since so many of the quotes we use in our work come from poets, this broad theme should be accessible to all calligraphers. Whether it’s published poetry, lines from a song (lyrics), sacred verses, or your own writings, as long as it is written out calligraphically, it will be welcomed.
For members who are not familiar with Medford Leas, it is a large Quaker community that attracts visitors from all over the Delaware Valley and New York. Its campus includes everything from individual homes and townhouses to continuing care facilities, and features a cultural arts center and arboretum. Medford Leas provides year-round programs for their highly educated residents and the surrounding communities. We are fortunate to be invited by this culturally active organization that enthusiastically promotes their programs and exhibits.
The gallery space is large – and the audience is large – so we’re hoping to display at least 60 pieces by members of the Society. This is a non-juried show, open to all members. There will be an area for new students to showcase their work, so beginners as well as seasoned calligraphers are strongly encouraged to enter. We have experienced exceptional sales at this show in the past and Medford Leas charges no commission, so you get the full price if your piece sells.
The opening reception will be held on Sunday, December 15 at 2 pm. to coincide with a reading by poets who participated in the spring Scripta’s “Poetry & Calligraphy” issue. We can help arrange car pools for any Pennsylvania members who would like to attend.
Here are the specific details:
· Work must be framed gallery style (no saw-tooth hangers, only wire) and must be designed to hang on the wall, as there are no cases.
· Since Medford Leas is generously offering their gallery space to us at no charge, there will be no entry fee for entering pieces in this show.
· For insurance purposes, the program, and identifying labels, we need a list of artwork that will be in the exhibit before Thanksgiving.
Please contact Maureen Peters ASAP if you plan to enter a piece in the show.
· Installation of the show: Sunday, December 1. Work should be given to any PCS Board member before Thanksgiving or to Maureen Peters on December 1 by noon at Medford Leas.
· Opening Reception: Sunday, December 15, at 2 pm
· Breakdown of the show: Tuesday, December 31.
Click HERE to print labels for your artwork.